Model 3 previews of PowerShellGet will start delivery in PowerShell 7.4 previews in June (preview 5) with the next updates. These modifications embrace necessary plans to handle migration and compatibility, and we want to request suggestions.
- The module title “PowerShellGet” for model 3 (
-PSResource cmdlets) will change to “Microsoft.PowerShell.PSResourceGet” begining with the following launch (beta22).
- PowerShell v7.4 (LTS) will ship PowerShellGet v2.2.5 and PSResourceGet v3.0.x, side-by-side. This can assist us get telemetry about utilization of PSResourceGet. No compatibility layer might be shipped, which means we won’t wrap model 3 commandlets with model 2 names. This enables present scripts to work as-is, with or with out absolutely certified cmdlet names, whereas nonetheless permitting clients to check the brand new commandlets.
- Clients can use
-PSResourcecmdlets for perf enhancements and new options. No new characteristic work might be achieved in
- Within the first preview of PowerShell v7.5 we’ll embrace CompatPowerShellGet renamed as PowerShellGet v3.0.0, along with publishing the most recent PSResourceGet module. In PowerShell v7.5 we won’t ship PowerShellGet v2.2.5.
- In PowerShell v7.5 we plan to ship PowerShellGet v3.0.0 and the most recent secure model of PSResourceGet, side-by-side.
- We are going to get group suggestions in regards to the compatibility layer that may assist use determine on the ultimate plans for PowerShell v7.5.
- We plan to ship PSResourceGet along with present PowerShellGet 220.127.116.11 in future builds of Home windows so PSResourceGet may be made out there by default in Home windows PowerShell 5.1.
- We additionally plan to enhance the expertise of updating PowerShellGet/PSResourceGet in prior releases of Home windows.
- We are going to replace the PowerShellGet repository title on GitHub to mirror the brand new PSResourceGet title.
We might tremendously admire your considerate suggestions on these plans whereas there may be nonetheless time to contemplate modifications. Please touch upon this github situation.
Issues for this choice
We admire the suggestions we now have already been given by the group, at PowerShell occasions, by MVP’s, and by our friends. Among the key components that performed into this choice have been
- PowerShell 7.4 is an LTS launch. We’re merging releases later within the preview cycle than we wished. We now have to be particularly cautious about breaking modifications that might impression present scripts/automation.
- Utilizing telemetry to trace adoption of PowerShellGet v3 (now PSResourceGet) will assist inform when we now have an applicable degree of utilization relative to suggestions, to verify public validation earlier than launch.
- Sooner or later, we wish to have the ability to finish new characteristic work for PowerShellGet v2 as a consequence of help difficulties with OneGet(PackageManagement) and deal with PSResourceGet. We acknowledge it can take time for mass adoption of PSResourceGet, so we might be transferring cautiously.
- For a deeper look into different choices we explored please confer with this github situation.
We stay up for reviewing group suggestions!
Sydney PowerShell Crew