Hello beautiful individuals! 👋 A few months in the past I wrote a few articles on the way to join completely different sensors and an LCD to an Arduino. Nevertheless, I didn’t write one last article about how these items all match collectively to type a greenhouse monitoring system. I don’t suppose I can get to it anytime quickly (lack of time for an in depth tutorial). Subsequently, I made a decision to only write about what the ultimate mission was and what it did and most significantly, the place the inspiration for it got here from.
Earlier than we dive into the reason, listed here are some photographs of the ultimate product.
It was the ultimate mission for my digital studio class at Colgate. The immediate was fairly open-ended and gave us a number of choices to train our creativity. I made a decision to utilize electronics to make some kind of artwork as a result of I used to be all the time curious about studying extra about Arduino. Furthermore, I had spent my free time within the final couple of months exploring the platform.
The thought behind the mission was that identical to no two people are identical, no two crops are the identical both. However is there a option to present this distinction in some way? I then realized that every plant requires a distinct degree of daylight, temperature and soil moisture to develop correctly. A sure mixture of those three variables is likely to be good for one plant however not for a distinct one (i.e one plant would possibly require extra daylight than the opposite). To visualise these three variables I made a decision to indicate them as a gradient fabricated from RGB values. Every sensor (gentle, temperature, soil moisture) knowledge was fed to the R, G and B enter of the gradient.
When the soil moisture sensor was positioned in a plant which requires much less water, the gradient was completely different from when it was positioned in a plant which requires extra water.
These sensors had been related to an Arduino which itself was related to a Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi was configured to mechanically connect with native wifi on boot and stream RGB values to a publically accessible net app. The Arduino, sensors and Raspberry Pi had been housed in a customized laser-cut and laser-engraved case.
I had an incredible time studying about Arduino by way of this mission. The sensation of really delivery a product is not like another. I’m fairly positive I might be working extra with the Arduino sooner or later. Here’s a video displaying the product in motion:
Within the video, you’ll be able to see the gradient transitioning from one coloration to a different. The display screen seems to be kinda wonky as a result of it was an inexpensive show.
Like all the time, I’m trying ahead to your feedback, recommendations, and suggestions. Let me know what you consider this mission within the feedback under. See you within the subsequent submit! ❤️